Pages

Saturday, September 02, 2006

The numbers game

A long time ago, I pinned my hopes on England winning the World Cup based on a rather tenuous link to the number 23 and my office sweepstake. We now know that theory was in fact utter nonsense.

Fortunately on my return from Barcelona, a couple of us chipped in for a sealed envelope sweepstake at one of the local pubs. Although the World Cup was under way no one knew who they had picked until the last envelope had been sold. After paying for the last one we opened it and discovered that we had Italy. The bar man running the sweepstake was less impressed on disccovering he had Angola.

In case you’ve forgotten, after the game finished 1-1, with Zinedine Zidane being sent off in extra time, Italy won the final on penalties. The player who gave away the penalty from which France took the lead, scored the equaliser, got Zidane sent off, scored in the shootout and helped win me over £30 was Marco Materazzi. His shirt number. 23.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hold up, is that the opening bars of the Twilight Zone theme I hear!?

Jon, not Antifrog said...

Dude, there were three of us in on that sweepstake. Such glaring inaccuracies - the Guardian wouldn't stand for it, you know.

MonkeyTypes said...

Ok, I said a couple when I meant several. I know what I meant, you pedant. And the Guardian don't even know how to use a spellchecker, let alone check facts.

Did Pete say something about a bar opening?